Music and Reviews from Clare, Limerick, Waterford and sometimes further afield

Sunday, June 2, 2013

Songs You Should Hear at the NCH


Seamus Brett and Kathy Nugent 


'Songs you Should Hear' in the John Field Room 

Kathy Nugent with pianist Seamus Brett presented a selection of popular classic songs in the John Field Room at lunchtime on Friday. An impressive performer, Nugent proved she could do sotto voce just as well as belting out the showstoppers and had a relaxed and well judged stage patter between numbers. She was ably supported by Sligo pianist, Seamus Brett who was just a tad too strident at times for my taste in the intimate venue.   
With no natural light , the show developed by Paul Black  was presented with full stage lighting more suited to a nocturnal event.  Maybe street noise and access issues preclude the use of the Kevin Barry room but I found that space more conducive to a daytime event  at a recent afternoon recital 

Venue Notes
With a near capacity audience,  why I wondered was the in house record shop not open?  I am not of the download generation, nor I suspect were most of the other 120 generally older patrons, and with record shops vanished from the high streets, more than ever I welcome an opportunity to browse through CD racks.

Set List
Love Me or Leave Me
Yesterday I Heard the Rain
Three  by Sondheim Broadway Baby; Anyone Can Whistle: Am I Losing My Mind
My Life Bassey
Victim Song
Streisand trilogy My Man: Evergreen: Memories
Connie Francis Who’s sorry now singalong
I Was Beautiful
Piano Solo Culainn
It Never Was You Weill
Doris Day Trio :My Secret Love: Ce Sera: Black Hills

Les Mis Selection : Empty Chairs/  Dreamed a Dream  

1 comment:

  1. outstanding ARTIST, looking forward to The Mill Theatre Dundrum on 12th Sept '15

    ReplyDelete