Music and Reviews from Clare, Limerick, Waterford and sometimes further afield

Monday, July 16, 2012

Live Opera from Munich & Aix-en Provence to your armchair


Munich Calling - Gotterdammerung 

                     


I have often enjoyed listening via RTELyricFM  to live radio  broadcasts from the Met  on Saturday nights. It adds to the pleasure  for me  to know that the experience is  at that very moment  being shared on two sides of the Atlantic whether from a position at the sink in my kitchen in the West of Ireland or in a plush seat in the parterre of a prestigious opera house in New York.
There was a feast of live opera  experiences  accessible  to anyone with an internet connection  as two compelling live opera events were screened this weekend.  On Sunday night, I watched the first and last acts of  Gotterdammerung live from Munich Opera House. The burning stage set in the third set looked incredible. How lovely to see the artists coming to the steps for a final 'curtain call'  for the crowd watching in Max-Joesph Platz.

Curtain Call on steps of  Munich Opera House
                             
My review of an evening spent at the Bavarian State Opera here

On Saturday afternoon , the final performance of Written on Skin, a new work given a world premiere at Festival d'Aix -en - Provence was screened live. I had difficulty watching  live   but switching to a larger 16  inch laptop and I was able to watch later  on demand without breaks in the picture. It will be available as one of the performers, Barbara Hannigan points out in this tweet for some months .  The links within the  embedded tweets work.  I attended the second night of this opera and my report is here Written On Skin Review.  My Fair Lady it ain't.










Grand Théatre de Provence
All this and the BBC Proms too. We enjoyed it the first night TV coverage on BBC2  with the wonderful Bryn Terfel and others . Sadly , My Fair Lady on Saturday night  was not televised but came in on BBC Radio 3 via internet connection .
I liked this blog post from Adrian's Blog on the first night telecast http://villabourani.wordpress.com/2012/07/15/first-night-thoughts-proms-2012/




No comments:

Post a Comment