Music and Reviews from Clare, Limerick, Waterford and sometimes further afield

Saturday, September 11, 2010

Trad Night at Corn Barn, Bunratty


It was a full house at the Corn Barn last night for the Traditional Irish Night run by Shannon Heritage at Bunratty Folk Park. My table were a group of very affable Norwegians and also in the house were a party from Anna McGoldrick tours.


There's a blast from the past. My Norsemen were very impressed with my plate balancing and violin playing skills(not both at the same time of couse) The show is looking good and I think it is still the best of the entertainments on offer by the group.
Fellow Waterford woman Aoife Carmody impresses by the range of dynamics she uses in her voice . I always enjoy hearing her perform. Brian Flynn went down a treat with his crowd pleasing party ballads and dancer Gary Collins added the necessary dimension of energetic dancing feet to the mix. The show features a mixture of songs, stories, a bit of poetry , lots of lively dancing of soft and hard shoe variety finishing with a grand finale 'Riverdance' style segment to  attractive arrangements by   composer Denis Carey
My party requested a serenade at their table and that worked quite well I thought and might be a nice feature to work into the show . With a very large group, fear an ti can have a little difficulty getting hush. I suggest maybe a loud chord from the musicians might alert the audience that their attention was requested.
Although I was delighted to receive an invitation to perform on Clare FMs anniversary broadcast (live from Folk Park) the show finished too late for me to take it up. I would love to have seen the Tulla Pipe Band parading through the parks .
Althogh hard work, I enjoyed performing at the show. I am proud to be associated with it and make a small contribution to providing happy memories I hope for the many guests. An elderly gentleman , his voice shaking with emotion told me that this was his first visit back to Ireland in fifty years and clearly had enjoyed his evening . A final serenade was demanded by the Norwegians , how could you refuse and then it was up to McDaids for a drink . Now if only I could manage to play the fiddle while dancing a jig like one of those Celtic women....

No comments:

Post a Comment