Music and Reviews from Clare, Limerick, Waterford and sometimes further afield

Sunday, September 18, 2016

Culture Night 2016 Waterford

Culture Night is a great incentive to get my performing skates on. Last year I enjoyed playing in Greyfriars' Gallery adding a salon ambiance to the exhibition space. This year my contribution was a more formal affair. I resurrected  a programme that I had performed in Ennis Library in 2011 with some changes. In Synge Songs, I aimed to create the mood of an Edwardian drawing room soirée which would chime nicely with the prevailing spirit of 1916 remembrance. I was delighted to be invited by Tom Hosford to use the wonderful space at St Patrick's Gateway Centre, a 17th century Methodist Church still used for worship. The interior has been beautifully restored and it has the most excellent acoustic for strings. I was wonderfully accompanied by composer and pianist Marian Ingoldsby. Earlier in the week I had spoken to TC Kelly's granddaughter, Rachel Kelly  about her forthcoming performance of his songs. She spoke about how well they sit in her voice. I love his beautifully crafted  piano and violin arrangements of Irish airs and included three of them in my programme.  They sit nicely under the fingers and the piano parts are full of interest.

I agreed with pianist Stephen Hough's recent remarks regarding length and timing of events. He advocated more early evening events and more shorter performances. The event ran for an hour at an early evening time of 6.30pm which meant patrons could go on to another event. The evening was unashamedly sentimental and nostalgic in mood and I relished every moment. of the playing but
more than that I  enjoyed that sense of connecting with the audience.  Thanks to everyone who came along.

(I hope to do it again. Follow me on twitter @fidleir or  drop me a line on email cdstringschool@gmail.com  if you'd like  to be notified of any future engagements)


As both Marian and I are committee members of Waterford-Music, I took the opportunity to announce the programme for the forthcomning season which kicks off with a perormance by David Power uilleann piper and Camerata Kilkenny on September 29th.


Later in the evening the Barrack Street Concert Band gave an alfresco performance in Bailey's New Street. In the calm  clear evening air they impressed with their tight well schooled sound in a selection that straddled several genres. I have to declare an interest in that my sister is in the clarinet section. Catch them in their annual concert at Theatre Royal Friday 30th Sept when their guest will be West End star David Shannon.


http://www.culturenight.ie/regional_event/tea-time-synge-songs-in-st-patricks-gateway/

Synge Songs Set List St Patrick’s Gateway
The Lark in the Clear Air F  arr TC Kelly
Sally Gardens WB Yeats arr Herbert Hughs
2 Planxties Carolan G /Gmi  TC Kelly
Anach Cuain D Mode  viola
Baidin Fheilimi  A  arr TC Kelly
Scenes That are Brightest Eb / Marble Halls Eb  Wallace /Balfe
Chopin Raindrop Prelude 
Autumn: poem by Helen Sheehan 
Salut d’Amour  D Elgar
Jeanie with Light Brown Hair  D Foster/ Oft in the Stilly Night Thos Moore
Carolan's Concerto arr O Suilleabháin
Loves Old Sweet Song JL Molloy
The Coolin  arr Michele Esposito


No comments:

Post a Comment