Music and Reviews from Clare, Limerick, Waterford and sometimes further afield

Monday, February 22, 2010

Loughrea Chamber Music Club 1st Birthday


Congratulations Tom Murphy on the first birthday of the Loughrea Chamber Music Club. On the first Sunday in February, I was delighted to be invited to play at this gathering in the library in Loughrea. I invited ace Japanese virtuoso , Yuki Nishioka to join me to perform the Rondeau from Mozart's violin and viola duet in G major. About a dozen or so performers contributed to a sizeable audience in this lovely converted church space. Yuki provided a grand stand finish with her memorable rendition of 'The Coolin' and Monti's Czardas. I had suggested to Yuki as she is here to learn traditional Irish music, she should include the well known air in her repertoire. That she certainly did. Other highlights were the Handel trio sonatas performed by Cantablile and my favourite tango, Jealousy.

Loughrea Chamber Music Club meets the first Sunday of each month at 7pm at either Loughrea or Gort libraries. Admission is free and I highly recommend it .

No comments:

Post a Comment